Singapore is to become the first country to stop counting daily Covid-19 cases and treat it as just another flu. In a joint op-ed written by Finance, Trade and Health Ministers of Singapore, they laid down a road map to bring things back to normal
- No quarantine for travellers.
- No daily counting of Covid-19 'positive' cases.
- No isolation of 'close contacts' of positive cases.
- Instead of counting case numbers, focus will be on outcomes : How many are very sick, how many need ventilator, how many succumb.
- Covid-19 may become endemic so we have to live with it. We can't eradicate ir but we can turn it into less threatening like influenza, hand foot and mouth disease, chicken pox etc. and get on with our lives.
There is a catch though. Singapore is relying heavily on vaccine efficiency and vaccine protection against covid19. How successful would be their strategy? We have to wait and see.
The approach looks more or less similar to the Swedish approach. Hope more countries follow this example and get the world back to normal. Because apparently nobody wants the 'new normal'.